My Music Video

My Website

My Website
Click this image to go to my website

Monday, October 28, 2019

Post 1: The UK music industry

Ed Sheeran
The UK music scene is at an all-time high, with British artists, such as Sam Smith and Ed Sheeran, having huge listening figures. The latter of which is ranked as the No. 1 artist on Spotify, the worlds largest music streaming service. He is signed onto Atlantic Records which is owned by the Warner Music Group, one of the big 3 music groups. These also include the Universal Music Group, and Sony Music Entertainment. Sony Music Entertainment controls a plethora of record labels, including Colombia Records, Ministry of Sound and 8 more. A wide range of artists with varied music styles are signed to these labels, from Hip-Hop (Aitch) to Rock (Foo Fighters). They self promote their own artists through their websites news section, where important information about their artists will be posted. Sony Music has the brand value to sign people based on their talent instead of their original fame, stating on their website they employ a 'broad array of both local artists and international superstars'. Sony Music is owned by Rob Stringer, the CEO, and had a revenue of $7.27 billion in 2017. Sony Music UK is a subsidiary of Sony Music, however has standalone operations in the UK. Through this, artists signed to the label are extremely successful, with Sony Music UK winning 7 out of the possible 11 BRIT awards in 2017. As my artist will be signed to such a large company it has influenced my initial ideas as I needed to create an artist who would be able to sell a great deal of records, and would be able to gratify their audience. This helped to influence my initial ideas as I then planned out how to construct a star identity to ensure my popularity in order to sell more music. I also changed my flat plans for my website to promote my music to a greater
Olly Murs Store Page
degree, by placing my newest music video on the first page immediately when the user accesses it. I also added a large amount of merchandise to my second page, also including links to buy them in my plan. This is similar to most artists signed to Sony Music, for example, Olly Murs. With the brief explicitly stating that my artist would be signed to Sony Music, my initial ideas for my website and video were updated to include institutional information to be shown.


No comments:

Post a Comment