My Music Video

My Website

My Website
Click this image to go to my website

Sunday, December 9, 2018

Post 2: Channel 4


I researched channel 4 in order to understand the style of shows broadcast of the channel, and to also know what type of adverts are shown. It was also useful to research Channel 4 to get a good sense of their brand values and their audience groups so I was able to construct my adverts so it suited the channel.

Channel 4 is a public service broadcaster, regulated by OFCOM. This means their channel is funded by the government, however they also gain revenue from adverts, sponsorships and sales. This money isn't distributed to shareholders, but is instead all invested back into the brand. They were founded in 1982, but changed to Freeview in 2004, and currently run an on demand service called All 4. In the remit for channel 4, they have 4 main brand values. They aim to 'shine light' on untold stories, to 'innovate' and take creative risks, to 'inspire change' in modern ways of life, and to 'stand up' for diversity across the UK. This results in a unique alternative style for the channel, resulting in them being a niche broadcaster.
Channel 4 broadcast a large variety of shows, with many intended to engage a predominantly younger audience of teens, for example The Simpsons, Hunted, The Big Bang Theory, Hollyoaks and many more. Shows such as Hunted and The Great British Bakeoff are broadcast in the 7pm to 9pm weekday prime time slot. Adverts screened around these times tend to have an alternative feel, and are generally innovate and take risks, following on from the Channel 4 remit. A time to schedule my advert around would be on Tuesdays at 8pm, as this is when The Great British Bakeoff airs, where a large proportion of their 10 million viewers is part of my target audience.

This was useful to my planning as it allowed me to put a large emphasis on creating an alternative style for my adverts as it would be better suited for the broadcaster at hand. This research allowed me to take creative risks when designing my adverts as being innovative fits the style of channel 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment